Gymnastics - Let's Play Sports!
GradePreschool - Grade 1
Skills to Teach
• HIGH-FREQUENCY WORDS: go, he, let’s, off, on, runs,
she, the, to, walks, we
• CONTENT WORDS: bars, beam, flips, gym, jumps,
lands, mat, rings, stretch, swings
• PUNCTUATION: exclamation points, periods
• WORD STUDY: /j/, spelled g (gym); long /e/, spelled
ea (beam); short /a/, spelled a (lands, mat); short /i/,
spelled y (gym); short /u/, spelled u (jumps, runs)
• TEXT TYPE: factual description
Before Reading Activities
• Read the title and give a simple statement
of the main idea.
• Have students “walk” through the book and
talk about what they see in the pictures.
• Introduce new vocabulary by having students
predict the first letter and locate the word in the text.
• Discuss any unfamiliar concepts that are in the text.
After Reading Activities
Show readers more images of gymnastics.
Have they seen or watched any of these events
before? Maybe some have tried tumbling or have walked on a balance beam. Draw a straight line
on the sidewalk or form a line out of tape on the
floor to mimic a balance beam. Ask readers
to walk on the line without losing balance.
What does it feel like?